Monday, October 6, 2008

Vegan MoFo Survey #3

So October is VeganMoFo month. What, you say? Isa of Post Punk Kitchen created VMF as a month to express ones creativity with veganism. Last year I followed along fairly haphazardly, but this year I created a VeganMoFo blog search feed for my RSS reader, and man has it been nice to see some great recipes.

But I also ran across this survey from Liz over at Food Snobbery is my Hobbery. And I figured since I normally run away from labeling myself a vegan, fearing the vitriolic reaction people often get from runs in with the dreaded vegangelicals, that I would play along and get another blog posting out of the deal.

So here goes:

1. Name a song that involves food in some way.

Lemongrass - Parker Paul (Sadly, I can not find a free streaming copy, but know it is a great great great song)

2. What criteria do you use when choosing a new cookbook to buy?

It has been forever sense I bought a cookbook. I really just pursue the web for ideas and fill in the blanks with what I have. I am not one who colors well in the lines and recipes are just templates for me, so just seeing a dish gives me many ideas of how to get to the food being in my belly. I do often look through cook books at the store or library though, just to get ideas.

3. What did you eat today?

Just under a pound of pickles for breakfast (I have a serious pickle problem currently), a banana, rice noodles with a spicy peanut sauce, curried quinoa salad with chickpeas and assorted veggies, 1.5 bunches of kale. 1/4 a bar of dark chocolate.

4. Name a vegan food that you know exists but you have never tried.

Corn dogs. I thankfully have never seen one either. I might have to hit the person who was wielding it. Let the meat centric dishes go people! Embrace the veggies and the good health they will bring. Eff the meat substitutes!!!

5. The Food Network just called and needs you to start your new show tomorrow. What will the title of the show be?

Great Greens and Grains

6. Favorite hot sauce or other spicy condiment?

I use Siracha like ketchup. There are others, but I am certainly having a difficult time thinking of them.

7. How old were you when you became vegetarian/vegan?

Vegetarian: 11
Vegan: 17

8. Favorite vegan cheeze?

I make a sort of tofu ricotta that i really like. I have not bought commercial vegan cheeze in years and really see no point to change that soon.It has been so long I just do not miss it.

9. Cutest baby animal?

Marsupial babies! preferably pandas, but I take what I can get.

10. Favorite type of jam/jelly/marmalade/preserves?

I almost exclusively eat blueberry fruit spreads.

11. Do you take any vitamins/supplements?

Just B-12.

12. What food/dish most embodies the Fall season?

Stuffed squash

13. What food would you have a hard time living without?

Pickles.

14. Coffee, tea, or hot chocolate?

Tea all the way. It has been far more than 10 years since i have had either of the other two.

15. It's 10 PM and you're starving. What do you eat?

If I am home, hummus and raw veggies/pita. If i am out, falafel.

16. If you have an animal companion, what is his/her favorite food?

Sadly, my kitty got old and no longer needed this world.

17. Worst injury you've gotten in the kitchen?

I cut off about an 1/8th of an inch of my left ring finger chopping broccoli for tofu scramble Jan 1st, 2000. Good times!!!

18. When you have a food-related question, who do you call?

No one. People seem to call me though.

19. Summer is ending- What food will you miss most?

Fresh tomatoes.

20. What snacks do you keep in your purse/backpack/desk at work?

Almonds or other nuts and/or bananas

21. Favorite soup to make on a rainy day?

A carrot ginger lime soup I made up, or really make up a new every time i make it.

22. What's your favorite combination of fresh vegetable and/or fruit juices?

I really do not have a favorite, I do enjoy tarter juices to sweeter juices though.

23. Favorite brand of root beer?

Most taste like diabetes to me, so I would rather have one mixed at a soda fountain sans all that sweet crap.

No comments: